info@piemonturismo.it
tel. 00390110882069

    Turin

    Torino: Piazza S. Carlo con le chiese di Santa Cristina e San Carlo Borromeo

    Turin: Piazza S. Carlo with the churches of Santa Cristina and San Carlo Borromeo

    Turin is discovered by the visitor as a tourist destination at the same time educated, greedy and youth that is distributed among the Savoy residences, streets and avenues with the arcades of the city center, museums, art galleries, clubs and historical cafes.  There remain, of its Roman origins, the square shape of the plant of the castrum, one of the ancient gates (Porta Palatina).
    Turin developed in 1563, when he became the new capital of the Duchy of Savoy soon evolved into a true European capital city, the emblem of an absolute state. It ‘a city rich and complex, with its gardens and parks, and with the splendid palaces symbol of a rich bourgeoisie.
    In this context are placed discreetly throughout of Turin, some absolute masterpieces of art and history: churches, palaces, cafes, theaters and royal villas (in Turin and in her crown, a true continuation of the city on the territory, Venaria Reale, Rivoli, Stupinigi, Racconigi and Agliè) and large churches placed under the direct protection of Savoy (the cathedral with the Palatine Chapel, San Lorenzo and the Basilica of  Superga), museums and unique collections in the world (the Egyptian Museum , the Savoy Gallery, the Armory and the Royal Library, the Museum of Antiquities, the Museum of the Risorgimento).
    Among the churches of the old town runs a first route, starting from the Duomo, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist located on the edge of the ancient Roman walls (where is kept the Holy Shroud) and continuing through the ancient streets of the city, leading to the Real Church of San Lorenzo, a true masterpiece of Guarino Guarini what was the first, historical exposition of the Holy Shroud. Continue to what is considered the “church of Turin”, or the Sanctuary of the Consolata, a true masterpiece of Baroque art that is offered to believers in a setting of infinite charm and beauty, to go down to the Cottolengo and the Church of the Little Home: on the homonymous district hospital and accessible through a small door a little over a meter wide, the church is very large and extremely airy, with large windows and high ceilings. Finally, the Church of Mary Help of Christians, the heart of the Salesian world and strongly supported by Don Bosco. A particular route, full of religion, history and beauty of artistic and architectural.
    But the great beauty of Turin is perceived mostly walking the streets of the center, constantly sheltered by tall arches that cover almost every main road: it is possible to move from Porta Susa to Porta Nuova never be deprived of the protection offered by large arches boon in case of rain. Just from Porta Susa we suggest going on a short and easy tour along Via Cernaia and admiring the Barracks “Cernaia” of the Carabinieri Corps, austere building of 1864. The Barracks is placed next to the “Mastio” of the Citadel, an ancient fortress Savoy mail inside the walls, in the forecourt, houses the statue of Pietro Micca. Once in Piazza Solferino you can admire the beautiful fountain of Angelica, which is dominated by large statues which, people say, have esoteric meanings. Continuing along Via Pietro Micca you reach Piazza Castello, in whose center stands the Palazzo Reale, built by Maria Cristina of France in 1640 and later renovated in the façade by Filippo Juvarra. On the side of the square, behind the artistic huge gate of  Pelagio Palagi, there is Palazzo Madama, Savoy Royal Residence of enormous beauty. From Piazza Castello you can follow the ancient Via Po, full of historic buildings and glorious universities to arrive in Piazza Vittorio Veneto, the largest square in Turin, able to give tourists a glance unmatched.
    Other routes lead to the crown of delights and on the hill of Turin, the “green belt” of the city, where in addition to the parks you can visit monuments such as the Basilica of Superga, where a large mausoleum houses the remains of the kings of Savoy.