Situated on a “plateau” between the rivers Tanaro and Stura, in the province of Cuneo, Cherasco begins his story in 1243, was established by the will of the imperial vicar of Frederick II of Swabia, Manfredi Lancia II, on a village in the existing age Roman. After many vicissitudes who see it pass from hand to hand, from the Ghibellines Guelphs, from City Free to possessions of Savoy after a “transit” for nearly two centuries in the hands of the Visconti, Cherasco born to a new life around 1560 when the Savoy stared at the seat of their court to escape the plague which was rampant in Piedmont. Just in Cherasco is signed, April 7, 1631, the peace treaty that ended the wars for the contention of the Duchy of Mantua, from which sprang the subdivisions of the territories of Piedmont Monferrato and Alba. From the sixteenth century, it was also home to a thriving Jewish community.
Of its history remain today important evidence including its synagogue of 1.700 located in what was the ghetto and that today is the convergence of via Marconi and Via Vittorio Emanuele and where between 1740 and 1848 resided Jews of the place. To see the Visconti Castle dating from the fourteenth century, the Church of St. Augustine in 1627 and the older Church of San Pietro (XII century) and St. Martin (thirteenth century). Important and interesting is the visit of Palazzo Salmatoris, called “Peace Palace” because it was signed ending the war of succession of Mantua and Monferrato (1631), the armistice between Napoleon and the kingdom of Savoy (1796) and there was kept the Holy Shroud in 1706 in the small room “of Silence.” Built by the noble Giovanni Audino of Salmatoris in 1620 and restored several times, in 1983 goes to the municipal administration and is transformed into a cultural center for exhibitions of international art. Today it is part of the circuit “Open Castles”.
Cherasco also boasts a famous and important Market Antiques and Collectibles: it takes place three times a year for about thirty years, and is home to approximately 500 exhibitors displaying the piece of antique furniture to paintings and sculptures, decorative objects to worship collectors on the streets. Finally, a note deserves the Center for Elicicoltura of Cherasco, institution of international renown that brings together researchers and breeders of snails involved in the research of the different applications in the medical, therapeutic and food of this cute animal.