In addition to agriculture, Alba is famous for being an important center for wine and food; are about 290 wineries in the area that cultivating an area of 700 hectares of land, annually produce 61,200 hl. of the most famous italian wines such as Barbera, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo, Barbaresco, Barolo and Moscato. At Alba, there are also world-renowned companies, such as confectionary Ferrero Spa, in rubber processing the Mondo Spa, in the textile Miroglio Spa.
Important – worldwide – is the International Fair of the White Truffle where every year in October, coming from all over the world for food and wine lovers make the most prestigious examples of this tuber, which in the Middle Ages, was a delight for the tables of gourmets.
Alba is also remembered as the city of “Hundred Towers” because of his important building system for the defense of the town that, even today, in the streets of the historic center has important examples. In the past, due to its expansion, Alba saw the birth of many castles built to form a crown on the adjacent hills, castles, which today represent a tourist attraction for its history and architecture. His past military saw her often at the center of contention until the moment when – in 1628 – was conquered by Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy after the devastation suffered by the French. The reconstruction of the city is due to Carlo Felice, which led to the building of the Monastery of Mary Magdalene and the rearrangement of the road that linked Alba to Savona through Cortemilia.
The Town Hall, located in Piazza Risorgimento, was built on pre-existing Roman buildings: inside, on the walls of the main staircase, there are some frescoes from the church of San Domenico, with a Pietà dating back to the end of the fourteenth century, while in the Council Chamber there are important paintings such as a painting of the Virgin and Child by Macrinus d’Alba dating back to the 1501, and an altarpiece of the Madonna and Child between St. Joseph and St. Anne attributed to Mattia Preti. Alba is home to one of the ten Italian wine schools, which was founded in 1881.